Friday, May 1, 2015

Sun Devil Stages.

I tried to remember to take photos as I painted, a tricky task.  These will give you some idea of what went on here.  This photo is where this painting is at now, today.   Still unfinished.
Unfinished Sun Devil by tereSager.
I started out with a 24x24 piece of Birch from the home store.  This is stage one.  At this point its all about having fun, putting down paint.
I DID have an idea of what I wanted this painting to be.  Sometimes that's meaningless because the painting will take you where it wants to go, regardless.  But as of now, its a Sun but not a Sun Devil.
early stage of Sun Devil by tereSager.

detail of the fun.
More paint and then some collage papers get added.
early stage of Sun Devil by tereSager.

early stage of Sun Devil by tereSager.

early stage of Sun Devil by tereSager.

detail of Sun Devil in the early stage.
Its fun to journal on the surface.  You can feel free to really express yourself, as in REALLY express yourself, then obliterate it.  You can write things like "So and So has short-man syndrome" or "I secretly love Justin Bieber" and only you know its even in there.  Somehow this is satisfying.
detail of Sun Devil in the early stages.
Did I mention after putting gesso on my surface, I added vintage book pages, as this detail shows.  This happened back in Stage-One times.
detail of Sun Devil by tereSager.
Its becoming a devil...
Sun Devil in the early stages.  By tereSager.
It keeps evolving.  Now its part flower.  Hummm?
detail of Sun Devil by tereSager.
I'm putting this same photo here again at the end to show the natural progression.  This is how it looks as of today.  I'm going back in the Dreamery very soon and let's hope it gets finished.  I will post a photo of the finished painting...
Let me just say that when I'm making a painting I often stop seeing it.  I have to remind myself to do the Sit 'N Stare.  This is a highly technical term that only us artists understand.  Its easy to forget to do it.  Tea helps with this process, at least for me.  But sometimes, its still difficult to see it, even with tea Sittin'N Starin'.  That's when I pull out the big guns.  I take a picture of it.  I was taught by a genius that this is the way to see it fresh.  Try it...it really does work.  So strange.

So, this photo is allowing me to really SEE this painting.  Its not 'there' yet.  There's a lot going on, and it doesn't need more going on, but it need what it needs and I'm not sure yet what that is.  If I Sit 'N Stare long enough it will tell me, in its own. good. time.
unfinished Sun Devil by tereSager.

No comments:

Post a Comment