Friday, October 16, 2015

Signs of the Times.

Willie mans the door from the outside, and then he mans the door from the inside.  He seems to always want to be on the other side of door.  He's been a big help the past couple days as I'm hauling potted flowers in after supper then hauling the back out to the porch sunshine again after breakfast. Its been chilly at night and warm and sunshiny during the days, so I've been catering to the blooms.



They're just tucked right inside the doors, all of them.  Some in the living room and some in the kitchen.  I have 7 mums in my bathtub.  It worked out well since they needed a drink anyway.


These mums were humongous and so they got covered up with one of the many sleeping bags I keep in the pile for this exact reason.  They got slightly smooshed from last night's tucking in.



These smaller pots with blooms go right inside on the kitchen countertop on frosty nights.  My family is used to this, every year they have to fight the flower infestation.


Then back outside they go come morning.

Its ok, I don't mind it.  Especially when I get my teen to do the heavy lifting.  I don't mind at all.


Willie has to get acquainted with each one as it comes inside.


This is Betty.  A lady named Betty gave my mom a start to her years ago and I got my start from mom's start.  Today I gave a start to a friend.  We call them all Betty.



I like Betty's little hairs.  I think she's inside for the season now.


Another telltale sign that the season is changing, a roux on the stove.  I cooked a lot today and needed a roux for one of my dishes.  Please excuse the messy splat.  I was overexcited since this roux had some bacon grease and bacon bits in it.


This contraption is a true sign of the times.  It is my current system to secure the kefir from a mouse.  Those pesky things just bring their little luggage and move right in as soon as it gets chilly out.  My mother called to warn me, a mouse ate right through her cheesecloth kefir cover, a one-inch hole right in it!  This greeted her bright and early two mornings ago.  Well let me assure you, my father was summoned for that catastrophe. I don't know any of the details but my imagination is running rampant.  She wouldn't speak of the particulars and to be honest we may never ever speak of it again.  This could be one of those unwritten rules.

I just hope mom drinks kefir again someday.  Its so healthy and all.

My father is a builder of critter contraptions.  There's been many a squirrel barricade placed on many a bird feeder by him.  Many raccoon stoppers.  Many sparrow repellers.   Many many contraptions that have made us all scratch our heads and stare with wonder.  First we wonder how in the world its going to work and then we wonder how on earth did he come up with that idea.
I can't even fathom that a mouse made its way into my parent's home.  That place is secured like Fort Knox against creatures.  I've never seen a creature or a crumb in that house, so to have a mouse infiltrate the kefir right on the kitchen counter is unheard of.  Consider me warned, my kefir is secure. And looking at my kefir security system I am wondering if I take after my father.  I haven't showed him my mouse security system yet but it will probably amuse him.  Then he will proceed to tell me in no uncertain terms exactly how said mouse will slip right through this so-called barricade and eat all my kefir starter and burp in my face.  But for tonight I'm going to pretend it will work and go snuggle into my bed, oblivious to the schenannigans going on in the kitchen.

Also, Willie Boots has been placed on high alert.  And the blossoms are staying warm in the kitchen so the mice can feel right at home with some greenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment